SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, January 25, 2019

Confessions of an Anxious Mind

Hi there, my name is Peri, and I have a really anxious mind. And heart. And just about anything else that can be anxious. My anxieties have anxieties. 
Since I was a very little girl, I've been living with these feelings. 
I hesitate before knocking on a door because I need a moment to gather the courage.
Sometimes I leave a store because I can't find what I need and asking someone isn't an option.
My heart beats out of my chest every time I dial a phone number because I have to be a big girl and can't make my mom do everything.
I rehearse every response in my head a million times before answering a question in class or talking to anyone in general because I don't want to screw up.
I stay silent in groups of people because I never know when something I might say won't be as funny as I think or is just way too dumb.
I can't sleep most nights.
My mind is constantly racing.
I can't always figure out why I feel a certain way. 
I don't always know why I'm hurting or struggling.
I sometimes say I am busy, and I am. But not busy with what most people are. 
Busy taking deeper breaths and remaining calm,
Busy silencing my irrational thoughts,
Busy convincing myself that I am okay.
Sometimes this is my busy, and I am learning that I don't need to apologize for it. 

But here's the thing. Because of my anxious tendencies, there will inevitably be days where I feel like I've been buried so deep that I can't get out. But Jesus is always there to pull me out of that deep dark place. I don't have to stay there. He will take care of me. He will calm my mind and my spirit.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 1:7

Now to some of you, you may think turning to Jesus in these situations is silly. You need someone or something right then and there to pull you out of a panic attack. Here are some other tips to calming your anxious mind:
1. Remind yourself that you aren't in any danger and what your mind is telling you is a lie.
2. Focus on an object and pay attention to the details of that object- colors, textures, words, etc.
3. Take reeeeeaaaalllllyyyy deep breaths.
4. Take a walk, step outside.
5. Call someone you trust, say every thought that is going through your head. (P.S. You can call me if you need someone to listen to you)
6. Don't treat yourself negatively, it will only make it worse.
And my personal favorite,
7. Prayer and some worship music. 

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard you hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

Did you just read that? Read it again. 
Did you notice that we are literally told to not be anxious about anything?? We're told to PRAY over these overwhelming things. And by bringing these requests to God, His peace will guard our hearts and minds!!! Trust me, I understand how anxiety works. It takes over every thought and the ability to breathe and think straight. But if you can focus enough to just simply ask for peace, I promise you'll start calming down. 

To friends and family members of someone who deals with anxiety and panic attacks, don't tell them to calm down, or relax. Never make them feel like they're overreacting or doing something for attention. They are feeling life threatening fear, and it is something that is out of their control. Support them and reassure them that everything is okay and you are there for them. Hug them tight.

And to you, my anxious friend,
You are brave for doing things even though they scare you and make you anxious.
You will do great things despite your anxiety.
You are stronger than you think. And you will make it through.
You are not your anxious mind.


"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

Post a Comment